This is a Rachel Ray recipe that I adapted to my needs and tastes and made Paleo friendly, unless you’re a purist in which case you consider butter off limits. Me? You can have my butter when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
Which come to think of it will be easy because, well, butter!
You can find her recipe behind the link.
Modifications to the recipe:
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken stock (paleo)
- 1 cup of diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
That might not be Venetian anymore, but still it is some good eating.
I am not going to copy the preparation, you can read it from her recipe here. What I did do differently is that I pan seared the scallops in coconut oil instead of coating them in flour as suggested. I added a chopped green pepper right with the tomatoes, shallots and crushed pepper and then stirred in some mushrooms when the shrimp was added.
I served with my favorite, asparagus and also, for the rest of the family, some herbed potatoes (my version anyway)